- Security guards wheel out bodies in shopping trolleys from Westlands Shopping Centre
- Foreign Secretary William Hague confirms British citizens are caught up in the terrorist attack in Nairobi
- The US State Department has also confirmed Americans were at the shopping centre
- Somalian terrorist group al-Shabaab, which has links to Al-Qaeda, has now claimed responsibility for the attack
- The terrorist organisation released a statement released saying it warned Kenya to remove troops from Somalia
- Hostages are being held by at least five attackers still in building
- The army and special forces are helping police flush out the gunmen
- Upmarket mall is a favourite shopping spot for expats and wealthy Kenyans
- Police opened fire after gunmen launched attack at midday today
- Kenya Red Cross says at least 39 dead though police not given exact toll
- Witness says attackers told shoppers non-Muslims were the targets
British and American nationals have undoubtedly been caught up in the ‘callous and cowardly and brutal’ terror attack at a shopping centre in Kenya that has left 39 people dead and 150 injured, according to Foreign Secretary William Hague.
Mr Hague said ‘we should be ready for that and aware of that’ as he revealed a rapid deployment team is being sent to Kenya to help in the aftermath of the atrocity at an upmarket shopping centre in the capital.
According to the Sunday Telegraph, a pregnant woman was among several Britons caught up in the attack.
Somali-based militant group al-Shabaab has now claimed responsibility for the atrocity in which men armed with guns and grenades stormed the mall and targeted non-Muslims.
Terrorist gunmen remain at the scene and police officers supported by the army are still fighting to bring the situation to an end.
Mr Hague added the Government’s security committee COBRA had met and was sending a deployment team to ‘re-enforce’ the British Consulate team in Nairobi.
‘Our High Commission staff in Nairobi are working very hard, visiting hospitals, trying to make sure that they are aware of British nationals who might have been in the area or caught up in this,’ he said.
‘We are sending a rapid deployment team to reinforce that work, which will be particularly important if the situation carries on. We have offered the Kenyan authorities any other assistance and of course we will keep in touch with them about that.’
Hannah Chisholm, a Briton visiting Nairobi, said she and 60 others barricaded themselves into a large storeroom.
She told the BBC: ‘We kept running to different places but the shots were getting louder so we barricaded ourselves along with about 60 others into a large storeroom. There were children hiding with us as well as someone who had been shot.’
She added: ‘The gunfire was loud and we were scared but at that point we thought the gunmen were thieves so we assumed they wouldn’t try to reach the storeroom.’
Read more at The Daily Mail
- Nairobi shopping mall attacks: Britons among those caught up in terrorist assault (telegraph.co.uk)
Americans among injured in deadly Kenya mall attack (usatoday.com)
- Islamists claim gun attack on Nairobi mall, at least 39 dead (reuters.com)