Fox News, Aug. 17, 2017:
DEVELOPING: Several people were injured after a white van rammed into dozens of people in the historic Las Ramblas district of Barcelona Thursday in what local police described as a terror attack.
The incident took place on Las Ramblas of Barcelona, the famous main pedestrian walk way that crosses the city. Police described the incident on Twitter as a “massive crash.”
In a photograph shown by public broadcaster RTVE, three people were lying on the ground in the street and were apparently being helped by police and others.
“It was real chaos, people started running, screaming. There was a loud bang,” eyewitness Ethan Spibey told Sky News.
Catalan emergency services said people should not go to the area around Placa Catalunya, according to Reuters.
Witnesses told newspaper El Pais the driver ran over several people on the walk way, and there were people lying on the ground injuries.
El Pais, citing a police source, said the driver of the van fled the scene after the crash
One witness said the van “has trampled people while crossing the traffic light.”
Police cordoned off the broad street and shut down its stores. They asked people to stay away from the area so as not to get in the way of the emergency services. A helicopter hovered over the scene.
Las Ramblas, a street of stalls and shops that cuts through the center of Barcelona, is one of the city’s top tourist destinations. People walk down a wide, pedestrianized path in the center of the street, but cars can travel on either side.
- BREAKING: Terror Attack in Barcelona
- BREAKING NEWS: At least 13 dead and dozens injured in Barcelona terror attack after van crashes into pedestrians in Las Ramblas tourist district before ‘two gunmen take hostages at restaurant’
- 13 dead and dozens hurt as van drives into crowds of people in Barcelona amid reports of gunshots nearby
- Emergency services have rushed to the scene near the Las Ramblas tourist area as people urged to stay away
- The driver of the van is being hunted as he fled after ploughing into pedestrians outside a kosher restaurant
- Also being reported that two gunmen have taken hostages at a bar in the city centre amid carnage in the city
- Spanish prime minister Mariano Rajoy said he is in contact with the emergency services at the scene
- Harrowing footage shows dozens of bodies lying on the pavement as armed police rush to secure the area
- Police are said to be negotiating with two gunmen who have taken hostages in a Turkish restaurant
- Did you see what happened in Barcelona, or do you know someone who did? Get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 0203 615 3908