Iranian Military Agent Caught Trying to Enter U.S.

Protestors rally at a demonstration against the new ban on immigration issued by President Trump at Logan International Airport in Boston / Getty Images

Washington Free Beacon, by Adam Kredo, July 13, 2017:

An Iranian citizen identified as a senior member of the country’s Basij military force was caught trying to enter the United States posing as a cancer researcher, according to multiple sources familiar with the situation who told the Washington Free Beacon that the Trump administration should begin investigating how the individual was granted a U.S. visa in the first place.

Seyed Mohsen Dehnavi, who has been identified as a member of Iran’s highly vetted volunteer Basij force, was turned away from entering the United States at Boston’s Logan Airport.

Sources familiar with the situation said that Dehnavi is billing himself as a medical researcher and was to assume residency at a Boston-based hospital. He was detained earlier this week at Logan Airport along with his family and later sent back to Iran.

A Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) official familiar with the situation told the Free Beacon that Dehnavi was “deemed inadmissible to the U.S. based on information discovered during the CBP inspection.”

Dehnavi’s rejection was unrelated to the Trump administration’s executive order on immigration from Muslim nations, according to official, who said that those trying to enter the United States must prove their eligibility.

“In order to demonstrate that they are admissible, the applicant must overcome ALL grounds of inadmissibility including health-related grounds, criminality, security reasons, public charge, labor certification, illegal entrants and immigration violations, documentation requirements, and miscellaneous grounds,” the official said, adding that Dehnavi was denied entry and sent back to Iran Tuesday evening.

While some media outlets have portrayed the situation as U.S. officials preventing an Iranian doctor from performing legitimate work, Iranian sources familiar with Dehnavi’s past said that he has close ties to Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and its Basij fighting force.

“Here are the facts: Mr. Dehnavi is a high-ranking member of IRGC’s Basij, has been involved in the IRGC’s military research programs, has played a key role in oppressing dissidents, and Iran’s Supreme Leader has given him his own keffiyeh as a gift,” Saeed Ghasseminejad, a prominent Iranian dissident and regional expert at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies told the Free Beacon.

Other media outlets have independently identified Dehnavi as a top Basij member who was involved in efforts to suppress dissident and reformist voices in Iran.

The situation highlights growing efforts by Iran to penetrate the United States with supporters of the hardline regime. Iran was one of several Muslim majority nations included in the Trump administration’s controversial immigration pause due to its global efforts to spread terrorism and its radical ideology.

“He is a well-known figure and a simple Google search would have shown his identity. Why has this not been done?” Ghasseminejad, who has been closely tracking the situation, asked in an interview. “Who in the U.S. facilitated Dehnavi’s travel? Did they know they were helping the IRGC to send a high-ranking member to the United States?”

Photos posted on Twitter purporting to show Dehnavi’s passport and U.S. visa approval have raised further questions about who is responsible for vetting these individuals.

Ghasseminejad asked, “How many people like Dehanvi have entered the U.S. over the last few years and are living in the U.S. as the IRGC-connected sleeper cells? In 99 percent of the cases, it is very easy to vet Iranians who want to come to the United States. However, it seems in many cases the vetting process is slow, inefficient and weak. It leaves many pro-U.S. Iranians behind the door and permits anti-American Islamists to enter the country.”

Dissident voices such as Ghasseminejad said that sympathetic portrayal of Dahnavi’s situation in outlets such as the U.S.-funded Radio Farda and Voice of America highlight the Iranian regime’s grip over these outlets.

Members of pro-Iran organizations such as the National Iranian American Council (NIAC)—which has long been accused as serving as a lobbying shop for Tehran in D.C.— condemned Dahnavi’s detainment.

Former secretary of state John Kerry, a chief architect of the landmark Iran nuclear deal, also slammed the move in a tweet: “Tragic. A doctor comes to the US to save lives and this happens. This is not who we are.”

Regime opponents such as Ghasseminejad said that all of these individuals and groups are attempting to shift the narrative in order to portray Iran in a sympathetic light, despite the doctor’s ties to one of Iran’s most repressive and violent domestic organizations.

“Why do NIAC, Trita Parsi, and John Kerry criticize the U.S. government for not permitting a member of a terrorist organization to enter the country?” Ghasseminejad asked. “To embarrass the U.S. government, the U.S.-funded Radio Farda and VOA rushed to portray this member of the terrorist group IRGC as an innocent researcher who has been mistreated by the U.S. government.”

Ghasseminejad called on the Trump administration to formally investigate these taxpayer-funded media outlets for pushing “pro-Tehran propaganda.”

Amir Etemadi, another Iranian dissident and Chair of the Iranian Liberal Students & Graduates, described Dehnavi as a “well known member of the Basij military organization in Iran.”

“You didn’t need to be an intelligence officer to find out who Dehnavi was,” Etemadi said. “The question is how he could get clearance from the US intelligence agencies, and how the State Department issued visa for him. I think the Trump administration should run an investigation into the case.”

Dehnavi “wasn’t the first Basij/IRGC member who has received the US visa in recent years,” he added.

Iran’s nuclear timetable … right now!

iran-nuclear-missileWND, by Jerome R. Corsi, Sept. 5, 2016:

NEW YORK – Amid the disclosure this week that the Obama administration has allowed Iran to continue secret efforts to enrich uranium and stockpile the heavy water needed to produce a plutonium nuclear weapon, a leading expert on the Iranian nuclear program remains concerned that Tehran could build a deliverable atomic bomb now.

“I believe Iran already has a nuclear weapons capability,” Clare Lopez, a former CIA career operations officer who serves as the vice president for research and analysis at the Washington-based Center for Security Policy and a senior fellow at the London Center for Policy Research, told WND.

Lopez noted that five years ago the International Atomic Energy Agency published a report on Iran’s nuclear program that listed the various technical components in a nuclear weapon that Iran had under development.

“We know for a fact that Iran already has the nuclear-capable missiles, including nose cones configured to carry nuclear weapons,” she said. “We also know that the IAEA years ago reported that Iran was working on forming the hemispheres of a bomb, as well as experiments testing the explosive charges required to set off a nuclear reaction implosion sequence.”

On Tuesday, Iranian officials announced the country is preparing to launch into space three new satellites, prompting U.S. defense experts to speculate the Iranian satellite program is a cover for pursuing illicit intercontinental ballistic missile technology the Islamic Republic could use to deliver a nuclear weapon over long distances.

Help from North Korea

Lopez pointed out that Iran could easily obtain nuclear weapons technology from North Korea.

“We have documented evidence Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) officials have attended North Korean ballistic missile and nuclear tests,” she stressed. “Further, North Korea has offered for sale virtually any technology the country has ever developed.”

On March 10, 2016, retired Admiral William E. Gortney, former commander, United States Northern Command and North American Aerospace Defense Command, testified about North Korea’s nuclear weapons capabilities before the Senate Armed Services Committee.

“North Korea’s recent hostile cyberspace activity, nuclear testing, and continued ballistic missile development represent a dangerous threat to our national security,” Gortney told the committee in his prepared remarks. “North Korea’s recent nuclear test and satellite launch demonstrate Kim Jong Un’s commitment to developing strategic capabilities, as well as his disregard for United Nations Security Council resolutions.

He said the North Korean communist regime’s “efforts to develop and deploy the road-mobile KN08 ICBM have profound implications for homeland missile defense, primarily because the missile obviates most of the pre-launch indicators on which we have traditionally relied to posture our defenses.”

“While the KN08 remains untested, modeling suggests it could deliver a nuclear payload to much of the continental United States,” Gortney continued.

The Washington Free Beacon reported in March 2015 Iran is believed to be hiding the development of nuclear weapons technology at a mountain military base in North Korea near the Chinese border as part of a technical cooperation pact signed by Iran and North Korea in September 2012.

Iran ICBM capable by 2020

Gortney also testified that he remained concerned about Iran’s nuclear weapons program.

“Iran poses multiple significant security concerns to the United States, and I remain wary of its strategic trajectory. Last year’s conclusion of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action was a welcome development, but, Iran’s continuing pursuit of long-range missile capabilities and ballistic missile and space launch programs, in violation of United Nations Security Council resolutions, remains a serious concern,” Gortney said.

“Iran has successfully orbited satellites using a first- generation space launch vehicle and announced plans to orbit a larger satellite using its ICBM- class booster as early as this year,” he continued. “In light of these advances, we assess Iran may be able to deploy an operational ICBM by 2020 if the regime chooses to do so.”

Lopez also explained she was concerned that North Korea might share with Iran the technology necessary to launch successfully an electro-magnetic pulse (EMP) attack against the U.S., even before Iran had an ICBM capable of hitting the continental United States.

On April 24, WND reported that North Korea now has two satellites orbiting over the United States capable of performing a surprise EMP attack at an altitude and trajectory that evade U.S. National Missile Defenses.

An EMP could be triggered by a nuclear weapon detonated at high altitude. The pulse could knock out the U.S. national electrical grid system and all life-sustaining critical infrastructures, including the Internet.